The development of the Burlington & Missouri River Railroad, was responsible for Creston’s beginning. By June 1869 the rails had reached Cromwell, which had been planned to be the railroad division point. But since the land was quite level at the high point between the two rivers, the division point was moved to this “crest” and the town was called Creston. The division point became the location for new repair shops for all of the B. & M. RR trains crossing Iowa. Construction of what became a mammoth 60 stall round house began at once. When completed the round house was said to be the second largest in the United States and the largest west of Chicago. The first center of business in the inter-town of Creston was on Union Street, just south of the railroad tracks. The town became incorporated in April 1871 and Colonel Simeon Swan was elected the first mayor. The town soon started to build on the north side of the tracks with S. H. Mallory building a brick bank. The towns 1870 population of 411 citizens more than doubled to 1087 by 18 73, and increased to 1819 by 1875.
Following are a few photos from before 1900. More Creston photos can be found in the GALLERY section.
1869 C. B. & Q. Depot. South of Adams Street at Pine.
1869 C. B. & Q. Depot.
C. B. & Q. Machine shop looking east.
C. B. & Q. Machine Shop looking west.
C. B. & Q. Hose Company. The end of Montgomery Street at Cherry Street.
C. B. & Q. Hose Company # 3, SE corner of Union Street & Maple.
1889 Bluegrass Palace.
1891 Bluegrass Palace. North of Sycamore Street and Townline.
The Pioneer School was located on New York Avenue.
Bradford Roller Flour Mill 1878. South side of Union Street at New York Ave.
Standing on the south side of Adams Street looking northwest from Pine Street.
Note the board sidewalks.
Waterman Grocery Store fire. East Union St.
Moreland & Oshel Grocery Store. East Union St.
Jesse Oshel Grocery fire, Union Street
Sullivan Monument Works. 100 block of Elm Street, West side.