Skip to content

MADDEN’S GROVE

In 1854 Ruben Madden bought the claim belonging to Asa Ames, in section 27 of Platte township.  He opened a general store, which was known as Madden’s Grove.   At that time, the nearest railways were at Ottumwa, Iowa and Savannah, Missouri.  Merchandise for the store had to be freighted from these points, which were also the nearest points of shipment for cattle and hogs.  Madden’s Grove became a post office in 1865 after the closing of the post office in Union City.  It remained a post office until 1874 when the post office was moved to Kent.  1874 was also the year that Ruben Madden passed away, and his son opened a  store in Lenox, Iowa.  So ended the history of Madden’s Grove.

Back To Top